Home : News : News
NEWS | July 6, 2007

LADIES SOFTBALL: 37th MSG soars in semifinals

By Tony Perez 37th Training Wing Public Affairs Office

On a hot and sticky afternoon, the women's intramural softball tournament took a dramatic turn in the semifinals round. Texas Cryptological Center, the three-time reigning champion, was put on its heels by the 37th Mission Support Group, the team that has been in first place all year.

"I just don't want them to win again this year," said left fielder Jaqueline Hudock. "They win every year, for the last three years or so, or at least as long as I've been here."

With a 4-3 decision coming in the last inning as time expired, what first seemed to be an easy victory for the 37th MSG on June 26 almost turned into a nightmare.

TCC needed three runs to tie the score after letting a golden opportunity slip away in the third inning.

Pitcher Amy King was the first to get on base in the final inning as she hit a single. Catcher Sara Browning quickly followed, hitting a single on the first pitch thrown to her. However, the comeback was a little too late as TCC left two players stranded on base with a runner in scoring position and another on first base.

Browning also scored for TCC in the third inning.

"I need to hit better, but we played great defense." Hudock replied.

While TCC scored runs in the fourth and sixth inning, 37th MSG had hot bats to start the game. Hudock hit a single to left field on her first at bat. Third baseman Estela Engle also singled and the two players gave 37th MSG a 2-0 lead after the first inning.

Catcher Jeanine Plummer scored in the second with Engle scoring again in the third inning.

Despite the inclement weather conditions on base recently, there were no adverse effects on the game because of any previous rain.

"No, the field was fine, especially with the sun out there," said pitcher Dorie San Miguel. "It was a good field to play on."

Fighting the weather seemingly daily, staff members of the Sports Recreation Office have been working diligently to keep the fields in playable condition.

"We were out there yesterday getting the field ready for the games," said Sports Director Jerry Tiger. "All in all it takes about three and a half hours to get the field ready."

Losing the semi-finals game to the 37th MSG meant that TCC would have to turn around and immediately play Air Force Intelligence Agency to determine who would be the other team in the championship game.

TCC won that game 6-5 and with no rest faced 37th MSG for the second time in three hours, playing its third straight game.

At the top of the fourth inning, 37th MSG put a run on the board for the first score of the championship game.

However, lightning was spotted within 5 miles of the field and the game was postponed and will resume with the same score at a date yet to be determined.

"Because of the rain we've been having, we've had more postponements than the last five years combined," Tiger said.