The Armed Forces Wellness Centers are an actionable platform delivering evidence-based programs that improve individual and unit performance and readiness, utilizing advanced testing technology to provide immediate feedback to improve Service Member readiness delivered by highly trained health and human performance professionals.
Along with improving fitness, AFWC programs can directly impact readiness by reducing lost or limited duty time and the number of Soldiers on physical profile. The primary goal of the AFWC program is to reduce the risk of musculoskeletal injury, improve overall performance, and enhance the self-efficacy of individuals to maintain lifelong healthy behaviors. AFWCs are integrated with the Patient Centered Medical Home as part of the Comprehensive Care Plan.
Lead in the delivery of the most effective primary preventative health and wellness services that improve the overall well-being of service members, family members, retirees, and Department of Defense civilians.
Services Available at the AFWC
The AFWC approach is holistic. Our staff members consider all the individual's physical, psychological, and social circumstances when providing health coaching. A holistic approach is important because a person's health cannot be fully addressed unless we consider the whole person.
Our Health Educators deliver primary prevention programs that will help you create and meet your health and wellness goals. You set the goals; the AFWC staff puts you on the path to achieving those goals and they walk the path with you!
The best part is … AFWC services do not cost YOU anything! These services would cost you upwards of $3,000+ at a fitness center or civilian provider, so take advantage and schedule an appointment today!
- Body composition analysis, metabolic assessments, and fitness assessments require you to follow specific guidelines prior to testing. A lack of preparation and not following the pre-test guidelines may cause inaccurate test results, therefore, appointments will need to be rescheduled for those not following the instructions and preparation guidelines found here.
Body Composition Analysis
- Body composition goes beyond the number you see on the scale. Body composition analysis determines how much of your weight comes from fat mass and fat-free mass. Fat-free mass includes everything the body is made of that is not fat, such as muscle, bone, bodily fluids, etc. This ultimately will tell you your body fat percentage and help you thoroughly track progress over time.
- A Metabolic Assessment measures your resting metabolic rate (RMR), which is the number of calories you expend at rest in a 24-hour period. Your measured RMR is then used to more accurately estimate how many calories you need to consume each day in order to lose, maintain or gain weight.
- Using state-of-the-art equipment, the AFWC can assess strength, physical fitness levels, and cardiorespiratory health through VO2 testing. This information can then be used to create an individualized exercise program.
- Health educators provide you with education in biofeedback, stress relief techniques, and positive coping skills. Biofeedback is a relaxation technique used to teach clients to control functions like heart rate to reduce stress, reduce the physiological symptoms of stress, and build resilience.
Health Coaching for healthy nutrition, exercise prescription, etc.
- This service includes one-on-one time to talk with our Health Educators! Health Educators will provide targeted education that will help you achieve your health and wellness goals. They will work closely with you and help you set realistic and actionable goals that are specific to you to help you achieve your health and wellness goals.
- The AFWC provides classes on topics such as healthy nutrition, improving sleep hygiene, stress management, and performance optimization. A detailed description of all our classes can be found here and our monthly class calendar can be found on our Facebook (JBSA Armed Forces Wellness Center) and Instagram page (@JBSA_AFWC).
Unit level Briefs & Assessments
- Leaders can contact the AFWC to schedule any of our classes and/or assessments for their unit.