LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas –
Tax season is in full swing and the Lackland Tax Center is providing free tax preparation of federal income tax returns for Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, retired military and their dependents.
Appointments are required for everyone except basic trainees and technical school students who may be seen on a walk-in basis. All available appointments have been scheduled through the end of tax season, but during the final weeks before the April 15 deadline, the center will be open for walk-ins on a first-come, first-serve basis.
It is expected to be an extremely busy time with long wait times so plan accordingly. Those who cannot make scheduled appointments are asked to cancel their appointment so another person can be scheduled in that time slot.
Other options for free preparation assistance are available. Many units and organizations have at least one unit tax advisor ready to prepare tax returns for the active-duty members in their own unit.
All UTAs have completed a comprehensive training course and IRS examinations to become certified tax advisors and use the same resources, reference materials and forms for processing returns as those used at the tax center.
Active duty, Guard, and Reserve members can also prepare and file their own taxes online through www.MilitaryOneSource.com. The free service uses the customized H&R Block At Home product and offers tax consultation by phone.
There are also multiple volunteer income tax assistance locations throughout San Antonio. The VITA Program offers assistance for low- to moderate-income households who earn up to $55,000 annually. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. To locate the nearest VITA site, call 1-800-829-1040.
The center is open Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and closed on Fridays. The tax center can be contacted at 671-1001. It is located in Bldg. 9020 on the northwest corner of Truemper Street and Carswell Avenue, Room 109, Classroom B. Parking is north of Bldg. 9020 off Carswell Avenue. The entrance to the center is on the south side of the building.
The following items are needed for tax preparation:
· proof of identification such as a driver's license or other photo ID;
· Social Security card or individual tax identification number for everyone included on tax return;
· birth dates for everyone included on tax return;
· wage and earning statement forms W-2, W-2G and 1099-R, from all employers;
· Social Security benefit statement form SSA-1099, if applicable;
· interest and dividend statements from banks (forms 1099-int);
· a copy of last year's federal and state returns if available;
· bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit;
· total paid for day care and the day care provider's tax identifying number: the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business employer identification number.