NEWS | July 15, 2020

Army Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation aids spouse employment

By Brittany Nelson U.S. Army Installation Management Command Public Affairs

The Army’s Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation program has many resources to help Army spouses with employment and entrepreneur opportunities.

Through Army Community Service, spouses have access to a variety of career planning and preparation resources. Services available may include career assessments, assistance with education and scholarship information, job fair events, as well as up-to-date local, national and international employment resources.

Additionally, ACS also offers employment readiness education and training on topics such as resume writing, interviewing techniques, dressing for success, networking and entrepreneurship and more. Virtual services and training videos are also available. 

The Employment Readiness Program also offers career counseling, individual career assessments, job fairs and other hiring events as well as access to their virtual career library.

Another opportunity for Army spouses is Home Based Businesses, or HBB, available on Army garrisons.

HBB allows families to offer services from their on-post housing, including hairdressing, baking and meal preparation, pet grooming and sitting, massage therapy and car repairs.

HBB owners can get an application at their local DFMWR center or online and turn it in to the DFMWR office in order to obtain approval from the garrison commander or senior commander.

HBBs are a great way for a spouse to develop the careers that follow them through permanent change of station moves.

An additional option for spouses to work from their home is Family Child Care. FCC is for those who provide more than 10 hours of child care per week in their home. Caretakers must be certified through Child and Youth Services as an FCC provider.

Another option for spouses interested in child care is employment through one of the many Child and Youth Services available on their garrison. Once employed through CYS, spouses can use the CYS employment assignment tool. This tool allows employees to request a transfer to another installation when they PCS.

For more information visit your local ACS office or