Notable events in the history of the Joint Base San Antonio installations
Notable events in the history of the Joint Base San Antonio installations
1886

In September 1886, famed Apache leader Geronimo, and his band of Chiricahua Apache, negotiated their surrender with the 4th Cavalry. Geronimo and the Apache arrived in San Antonio by train and are held in the Quadrangle for six weeks, until being transferred to Fort Pickens, Florida.
1910

In February of 1910, Lt Benjamin Foulois arrived at Fort Sam Houston with a handful of enlisted men, a model 1909-A Wright Flyer, and orders to teach himself to fly. On 2 March 1910, Lt Foulois launched the aircraft--Signal Corps No. 1--from the parade field, and subsequently launched the history of the Air Force.
1911

In early 1911, President Woodrow Wilson ordered a show of force in response to the start of a revolution in Mexico. Some 12,000 troops assembled in a maneuvering camp established east of, and adjacent to Fort Sam Houston. Aircraft fly reconnaissance missions along the border for the first time.
On 10 May 1911, Lt George E.M. Kelly dies soon his plane crashed on Fort Sam Houston. Maj Gen W. H. Carter bans any further flights on the post.
1915
In November 1915, aircraft return to Fort Sam Houston when the now activated 1st Aero Squadron is transferred from Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The squadron is posted to an airfield built on Fort Sam Houston's cavalry Remount Station.
1916

In March 1916, Pancho Villa attacked Columbus, New Mexico. During the raid, 18 civilians and soldiers are killed. General John J. Pershing leads a force into Mexico to hunt down Villa. The 1st Aero Squadron is deployed to support Pershing in Mexico.
1917

In April 1917, the US entered World War I, and the now activated 3d Aero Squadron departed Fort Sam Houston and landed a few miles to the southwest of San Antonio, at a new installation east of Leon Creek. By the summer, the Army designated the installation as Kelly Field.
In May and June 1917, Camp Bullis and Camp Stanley are established. Both make up the Leon Springs Military Reservation.
1918

The US Army Balloon School arrived at Fort Sam Houston in January 1918. They stay in the post's barracks for three months until Camp John Wise is ready in April. Camp John Wise remained open until 1919 when it closed and balloon training moved to Brooks Field.
Organized and trained on Camp Travis, the 90th Division deployed to France in June 1918. The 90th participated in the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives.
Beginning in late September 1918, the Spanish Influenza pandemic reached San Antonio. Over 4,000 military personnel became infected. Although fatalities occurred, planning and personnel dispersement kept the numbers low.
1925

In June 1925, the 12th Observation Squadron is transferred to Fort Sam Houston's Remount Station to support the 2d Division. The station is designated Dodd Field in May 1928. Active flying operations ceased in October 1931 when the 12th is transferred to Brooks Field, south of San Antonio.
1926

In 1926, cameras rolled in San Antonio for the filming of the movie "Wings." Fort Sam Houston provided equipment used to reenact the Battle of St Mihiel filmed at Camp Bullis. Aircraft used in the filming flew from Kelly Field. "Wings" earned the first ever Academy Award for Best Picture.
1933
In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps utilized Camp Bullis as a processing center for 4,000 civilians who went to work on public works projects during the Great Depression.
1937
A 1937 exercise at Camp Bullis, along with subsequent exercises through 1939, led to the development of the triangular division. This became the basic structure of modern army units through World War II.
1942

The 63d Troop Carrier Group flew C-47s at Dodd Field from September to November 1942. This is the last known use of Dodd for flying operations. In 1943, a POW camp is established and used until 1946. The area is redeveloped for Wherry Housing in 1949.
1944
On New Year's Day 1944, the Randolph Field Ramblers played the University of Texas Longhorns to a 7-7 tie in the Cotton Bowl. Randolph remains the only military installation to ever play in the Cotton Bowl.
1947
On 18 September 1947, the Army Air Force is separated from the Army and designated the United States Air Force. In 1948, Randolph, Lackland, Kelly, and Brooks are designated Air Force Bases.
1958

On 9 February 1958, A1C Donald G. Farrell becomes America's first space traveler when he enters a space capsule simulator at Randolph for a week long endurance test. Farrell's simulated trip to the moon proved that a human could endure the confines of space flight.
1967

Nemo, an 85-pound German Shepherd, is retired to Lackland from active service as a sentry dog--the first to be so honored--on 23 June 1967. On 4 December 1966, Nemo, severely wounded, attacked a Viet Cong guerilla who shot Nemo's handler, then crawled over the handler to shield him, saving his life.
1968
In May 1968, future US President George W. Bush, graduated basic training at Lackland. He is the only person to go from Airman Basic to Commander in Chief.