JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas –
A Joint Base San Antonio base civil engineer declared Stage II water use restrictions in accordance with the current JBSA Critical Period Management Plan and Biological Opinion issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Nov. 6.
The biological opinion limits JBSA's water draw from the Edwards Aquifer in order to protect eight endangered species that live in the aquifer and its associated springs. These species can only survive when aquifer levels and spring flows are adequately maintained.
All JBSA personnel are asked to continue to comply with the water conservation measures from Stage I in addition to the following:
- Landscape watering with an irrigation system, sprinkler or soaker hose is allowed once every week from 7-11 a.m. and 7-11 p.m. on your designated watering day.
- Irrigation of athletic fields is permitted only as required to maintain the turf viability and safety between the hours of 3-8 a.m. and 8-10. p.m. once per week.
- Watering with drip irrigation is allowed from 7-11 a.m. and 7-11 p.m. on any day.
- Watering with a hand-held hose is allowed any time on any day.
- Government vehicles are allowed to be washed twice per month.
JBSA personnel should not confuse the JBSA water restrictions with those of the surrounding communities. Currently, the JBSA Critical Period Management Plan trigger levels are the same as those of the San Antonio Water System and the Edwards Aquifer Authority, but both outside organizations often delay changing stages due to specific rules and regulations they follow.
There is a possibility that JBSA could re-enter Stage III or further reduce its restrictions to Stage I this fall or winter, but it will likely maintain Stage II water restrictions until the spring. Continue to check the JBSA website, newspapers and other media outlets for updates to JBSA water restrictions.
It is everyone's responsibility to conserve water on JBSA and in the surrounding communities. Water waste and leaks on JBSA should be reported to the local civil engineering customer service desk for action. When in surrounding communities, report waste and leaks to the local municipal water utility.
For more information, the Critical Period Management Plan is available online at http://www.jbsa.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130809-013.pdf