Home : News : News

Tax assistance available for Security Hill personnel

By Michael Dimmitt | 67TH NETWORK WARFARE WING LEGAL OFFICE | Jan. 25, 2007

Lackland Air Force Base, Texas —

Free electronic tax filing for federal income tax returns will soon be available on Security Hill for all active-duty members and retirees assigned to, or collocated with, the Air Intelligence Agency.

Individuals in AIA, the Joint Information Operations Warfare Center, Cryptologic Systems Group and Texas Cryptological Center at Lackland Training Annex will be seen on a space-available basis.

The Security Hill Tax Center is scheduled to open Feb. 5, but will start taking appointments Thursday.

The hours of operation will be Monday through Friday, from 8 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Once the member has received all the necessary tax documents, such as W-2 and 1099 forms, the tax center will electronically prepare all 1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040 federal returns.

The center is located in Bldg. 2017 at 105 Hall St. The entrance is across the street from the shoppette.

The Security Hill Tax Center averages about 40 unit tax advisors under the Internal Revenue Service's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

This is a free service and members will be entitled to the full amount of any refund due. Those using an outside tax service will have to pay a fee for the services and may not receive the full refund.

In 2006, the Security Hill Tax Center filed more than 1,100 tax returns. If those clients had used a civilian service, the bill to those members combined would have been more than $245,000.

In addition to the tax center, each unit and organization will have a UTA to assist with income tax returns. Each UTA has gone through a training course and are certified to file federal income tax returns. Members are strongly encouraged to seek assistance from their UTAs prior to coming to the tax center.

Before visiting the center, filers should be sure to have complete supporting documentation for their tax return.

The following documents are necessary to process the return:

Social Security cards for everyone on the tax return.

Picture identification card (military ID or driver's license) for both the filer and spouse (if filing joint return).

All original W-2s.

Forms 1099 for interest, dividends and miscellaneous income.

A copy of the filer's 2005 tax return.

Bank account number and bank routing number for the account into which the filer wants the refund directly deposited (if applicable).

A child care provider's name, address and tax identification number and payment receipt for claiming the child and dependent care credit (if applicable).

To make an appointment or for questions, call the Security Hill Tax Center at 977-2150 or 977-2560.