LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas —
While the official Air Force half marathon is sold out, the second annual Gateway Half Marathon is just lining up, and it offers Lackland's running enthusiasts the opportunity to compete against other servicemembers on their own turf.
Nearly 2,000 runners roamed the base's streets during the 5K, 10K and half marathon races in the inaugural event and this year could be even bigger if varsity sports director Dwayne Reed has his way.
Taking his lessons on how to organize the large competition on the fly, Reed said he's committed to making 2010 even better with a few things he's learned during the first go around.
Despite a stumble-free Gateway run last year, Reed said some changes are coming, including perhaps one of the biggest - splitting up the mass start.
This year each half marathon, 10K and 5K race begins with its own start to prevent confusion along the three separate courses.
Half marathon runners will lead the way, followed by 10K and then 5K competitors.
The finish line will also move from the bomb run to the parking lot.
Reed said that the change of race start and end points will be more inclusive, encouraging a festive atmosphere as the vendors and information booths are located in the same area.
Members of base leadership are expected to present awards to the top runners for each age group: younger than 30, 31-49, 50 and older, and overall men and women winners.
Other areas of the event will mostly remain the same, including the use of timing chips to track results and handing out T-shirts and medals to competitors.
For more information, contact the sports office at 671-3716.
- The race begins at 8 a.m., Oct. 23, in the parking lot behind the parade grounds.
- Early registration is $55 for the half marathon, $35 for the 10K and $25 for the 5K paid before Oct. 20.
- Late registration is $75 for the half marathon, $55 for the 10K and $45 for the 5K until race day.
- The race is open to all Department of Defense cardholders and their guests.
- Register at any fitness center or download an entry form at www.lacklandfss.com.