JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO, Texas –
Joint Base San Antonio officials and representatives from the City of San Antonio, the Fort Sam Houston Independent School District and the Alamo Area Council of Governments gathered at the Winans Road gate at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston Jan. 10 to celebrate the completion of the City of San Antonio Fiscal Year 2017-2022 Bond Program Winans Road Project.
The $1.725 million bond project connects Rittiman Road to the Fort Sam Houston Independent School District, which enables alternate access to Robert G. Cole Middle and High School during emergency situations and for extracurricular academic and sporting activities after normal school hours.
The Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration also uses the new road for their maintenance and delivery vehicles to enter the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery.
Attendees of today’s event included:
- Brig. Gen. Russell Driggers, commander, JBSA and 502d Air Base Wing
- Mayor Ron Nirenberg, City of San Antonio
- Dr. Gary Bates, superintendent, Fort Sam Houston ISD
- Diane Rath, executive director, Alamo Area Council of Governments
- Juan Ayala, director, San Antonio Military and Veteran Affairs Department