JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas –
The 2021 Excellence in Competition Pistol Shoot, hosted by the 37th Training Support Squadron Combat Weapons Flight, brought out 130 military participants, all vying to place in the top 10 percent.
The event was held at the Joint Base San Antonio-Chapman Training Annex Aug. 27. Competitors received a briefing on the Beretta M9 pistol, along with a safety briefing, before going out on the range. Shooters fired at 25 yards single-handed as well as double during slow/rapid firing portions of the course.
“This competition helped bring units from all around JBSA-Lackland together and bring a sense of normalcy back into our lives,” said Staff Sgt. Justin Sippola, 37th TRSS.
Sippola organized the event along with Staff Sgt. Anthony Diehm; Staff Sgt. Dustin Fowler and his spouse, Brittany Fowler; Michael Sherburne; Matthew Viggato; and all Combat Arms instructors from the 37th TRSS.
The top 10 percent best shooters, named below, may now wear the Air Force Bronze Excellence in Competition Pistol Badge on their blue uniforms.
- Staff Sgt. Brett Miner, 37th Training Support Squadron, 268
- Tech. Sgt. John Davis, 322nd Training Squadron, 261
- Tech. Sgt. Amaris Pendleton, 343rd TRS, 254
- Staff Sgt. Paul Frazier, 37th TRSS, 250
- Tech. Sgt. William Klein, 321st TRS, 248
- U.S. Army Maj. Richard Vincent, 377th Theater Sustainment Command, 245
- Tech. Sgt. Alexander Scott, 37th TRSS, 243
- Tech. Sgt. Justin Sonan, 149th Maintenance Squadron, 243
- Tech. Sgt. Christopher Porche, 343rd TRS, 240
- Tech. Sgt. David Stivers, 344th TRS, 238
- Master Sgt. Jason Dalton, 344th TRS, 237
- Tech. Sgt. Michael Sortino, 343rd TRS, 237
- Staff Sgt. Christopher Reid, 37th TRSS, 236