Chief Master Sergeant Wendell J. Snider serves as the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 502d Air Base Wing and Joint Base San Antonio, Texas. Chief Snider provides enlisted leadership to a wing comprised of 11 geographically distinct locations including JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, JBSA-Lackland, JBSA-Randolph and JBSA-Camp Bullis. The 8,000 person 502d ABW executes 49 installation support functions to enable the largest Joint Base in the Department of Defense consisting of 266 Mission Partners, 80,000 full-time personnel and a local community of more than 250,000 retirees. The 502d ABW also manages and provides oversight for major projects, facilities and infrastructure worth $37 billion.
Prior to assuming his current position, Chief Snider served as the Command Chief for the 366th Fighter Wing at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. The wing was comprised of more than 4,300 military and civilian members serving 16 squadrons, and A-Staff functions supporting the F- 15E Strike Eagle Mission.
Chief Snider grew up in our nation’s capital, Washington, D.C. In 1995, he joined the United States Marine Corps. Attached to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, he supported Operation JOINT ENDEAVOR and Operation ALLIED FORCE. After serving honorably within the Marine Corps, Chief Snider departed the organization in 1999 and entered the Air Force in 2000. Upon entering, he completed the Structural Apprentice Course at the Naval Construction Training Center located in Gulfport, Mississippi. His first Air Force assignment was to Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina.
Chief Snider has been stationed and deployed to numerous bases across the globe. He has experience in maintaining installations, infrastructure, and facilities in both the United States and overseas. Specifically, he has oversaw military family housing maintenance, unaccompanied housing operations, base construction project prioritization, and technical training school operations.
2001 Structural Apprentice Course, Naval Construction Training Center, MS
2002 Airman Leadership School, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
2003 Associates of Applied Science in Construction Technology, CCAF, AL
2005 Basic Instructor Course, Best Presenter Award, Keesler AFB, MS
2006 Instructional Systems Development Course, Keesler AFB, MS
2006 Associates of Applied Science in Instructor of Technology and Military Science, CCAF, AL
2009 Master Instructor Certificate & CCAF Occupational Instructor Certification
2009 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Keesler AFB, MS
2009 Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Distance Learning, Air University, AL
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I Course, Joint Forces Staff College, VA
2011 Bachelor of Science in Religion, Magna Cum Laude, Liberty University, VA
2011 CCAF Professional Manager Certification
2012 AFIT Civil Engineer Superintendents Course, Wright Patterson AFB, OH
2012 Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL
2015 Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, Liberty University, VA
2017 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Course
2017 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Andrews AFB, MD
2018 Continuous Process Improvement Executives Course, Institute for Defense Business, VA
2018 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, CO
2019 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL
2019 Generations & Conflict Management Seminar, Boise State University, ID
2019 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
1. April 2001 – September 2001, Structural Apprentice, 43 CES, Pope AFB, N.C.
2. September 2001 – October 2004, Structural Journeyman, 4 CES, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
3. 2002 Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, 376 ECES, Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan
4. 2003 Operations ENDURING/IRAQI FREEDOM, 379 ECES, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
5. October 2004 – Feb 2011 Instructor Supervisor, 366TRS Detachment 6, NCTC Gulfport, Miss.
6. 2008 Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, Gardez Provincial Reconstruction Team, Afghanistan
7. March 2011 – August 2011, Structures Section Chief, Squadron 18 CES, Kadena AB, Japan
8. August 2011 – August 2012, Squadron Superintendent, 718 CES, Kadena AB, Japan
9. November 2012 – July 2013, Heavy Repair Superintendent, 18 CES, Kadena AB, Japan
10. 2013 Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, NCOIC RSC-West Engineer Cell, Herat, Afghanistan
11. November 2013 – June 2014, Section Chief Requirements/Optimization, 18 CES, Kadena AB, Japan
12. June 2014 – February 2015, Operations Flight Superintendent, 18 CES, Kadena AB, Japan
13. March 2015 – July 2016, Operations Flight Chief, 90 CES, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
14. July 2016 – December 2016, Interim Superintendent, 90 MSG, F. E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
15. December 2016 – June 2018,Commandant, Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Sheppard AFB, Texas
16. June 2018 – June 2020, Command Chief, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
17. June 2020 – Present, Command Chief, 502d Air Base Wing, JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with one bronze star
Air Force Combat Action Medal
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Structural Apprentice Course, Naval Construction Training Center
2002 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School, Seymour Johnson AFB
2009 Major General Eugene A. Lupia Award (Civil Engineer Superior Job Performance), AETC
2011 SNCO of the Year, 718th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kadena AB
2012 Lance P. Sijan USAF Leadership Award, 18th Wing, Kadena AB
2014 SNCO of the Year, 18th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kadena AB
2014 SNCO of the Year, 18th Civil Engineer Group, Kadena AB
2015 Larry R. Daniels Award (Civil Engineer Military Superintendent of the Year), AFGSC
2020 Nominated/Served on CINC Installation Excellence Award Selection Board
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant 1 August 2016
(Current as of June 2020)