An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Home : News : News
NEWS | June 8, 2007

Procedure change for long-term passes

By Robert Goetz 12th Flying Training Wing Public Affairs

Military and civilian personnel seeking long-term passes for base access should now submit their request letters to the 12th Security Forces Squadron Pass and Registration office, at the visitors' center, instead of the chief of Security Forces. 

Master Sgt. JoAnn Krafft, 12th SFS Pass and Registration NCO in charge, said the change should expedite the process of obtaining long-term passes because all the information required is reviewed and screened before a recommendation is forwarded to the two supervisors who make the final decision. 

"The process starts and ends here," she said. "We make sure all the information that is provided is correct. Otherwise, the process remains the same." 

A request letter is mandatory for any visitor who needs a long-term pass to drive on base. A long-term pass is required for access of more than 30 days. 

All visitors must have an on-base sponsor with a common access card or military ID. 

The request must be endorsed by the sponsor's commander and must include the reason and circumstances surrounding the request along with the name of the visitor, the duration of the pass and the visitor's date of birth, Social Security number and driver's license number. Visitors must also show proof of insurance to obtain a pass.
Sergeant Krafft said that after the request is received and reviewed, the screening process takes place and she makes a recommendation to the chief of Security Forces and the 12th Mission Support Group deputy commander, who then approve or deny the request. 

"They authorize who has access to the base," she said. 

Sergeant Krafft said there are hundreds of scenarios possible for long-term pass requests, but common examples include military retirees or widows who need a driver to pick up groceries or medications for them, handicapped employees who are driven to and from work and military personnel who employ a housekeeper that needs access to the base. 

Long-term passes are good for up to a year, and the turnaround time to receive one is about two weeks, she said. 

For more details, call the visitors' center at 652-3939.