JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO, Texas –
Effective immediately, all individuals in indoor and outdoor shared spaces on Joint Base San Antonio are required to wear masks in accordance with the most current Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and Secretary of Defense directive. This includes wearing a mask in any location on installation other than a member's home.
Individuals must wear masks continuously while on JBSA except:
- When an individual is alone in an office with floor-to-ceiling walls with windows and doors closed;
- For brief periods of time when eating and drinking while maintaining distancing in accordance with CDC guidelines and instructions from commanders and supervisors;
- When the mask is required to be lowered briefly for identification or security purposes; and
- When necessary to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability.
Additional JBSA policy includes:
- Masks will be worn when entering the installation. Please comply if asked by Security Forces to lower masks for security reasons.
- While inside installation fitness centers, masks will be worn at all times except while swimming or using the showers.
- Masks will be worn outdoors when in shared spaces and if the 6-foot physical distance cannot be maintained.
- Shared spaces include but are not limited to inside and outside of all facilities, except a person's own residence.
- Failure to wear a mask in accordance with this policy could result in removal from the installation.
Masks recommended by the CDC include non-medical disposable masks, masks made with breathable fabric (such as cotton), masks made with tightly woven fabric (i.e., fabrics that do not let light pass through when held up to a light source), masks with two or three layers, and masks with inner filter pockets. Not authorized as a substitute for masks are novelty or non-protective masks, masks with ventilation valves, or face shields.
The Secretary Of Defense memo on mask policy can be found here.