JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO, Texas –
Joint Base San Antonio will begin Stage 1 water conservation measures effective immediately.
JBSA Stage 1 water conservation measures are triggered when the 10-day average measurement at the test well at SAWS Well Head J-17 reaches amounts between and/or equal to 659 and 650 feet and/or when the Comal Springs 10-day average flow reaches amounts between and/or equal to 224 and 200 cubic feet per second.
JBSA is committed to preserving Edwards Aquifer water and preventing adverse impacts to the aquifer’s endangered species and habitats.
The following water conservation activities will help to ensure an adequate supply of Edwards Aquifer water.
• Continue Stage Normal water use measures, except as noted or replaced by Stage 1 rules.
• Landscape watering with an irrigation system, sprinkler or soaker hose is allowed only once a week before 10 a.m. or after 8 p.m. on your designated watering day, as determined by your address or facility number.
• Reduce water consumption by any means available.
• New turf or landscaping may be watered as identified in Stage Normal until adequate growth is maintained.
• Privately owned vehicle washing is allowed once per week on Saturday or Sunday as long as there is no water waste. A positive shutoff nozzle must be used with hoses to prevent water waste. Don’t let water run into the street.
• All swimming pools must have a minimum of 25 percent of the surface area covered with evaporation screens when not in use. Inflatable pool toys or floating decorations may be used.
• Hand watering with a handheld hose, soaker hose, drip irrigation, bucket or watering can is permitted any time and any day.
• Washing impervious cover such as parking lots, driveways, streets or sidewalks is prohibited except in order to correct life, health or safety concerns.
• Irrigation of athletic fields is permitted only as required to maintain the turf viability/safety. Athletic fields continue Stage Normal water use measures.
• Landscape on golf courses are required to follow one day per week watering
• Use of fountains, waterfalls or other aesthetic water features outdoors or indoors is prohibited unless a variance has been granted for 100 percent non-potable water use.
In Stage 1, the watering days are as follows if the address/facility number ends in 0 or 1, Monday; 2 or 3, Tuesday; 4 or 5, Wednesday; 6 or 7, Thursday; and 8 or 9, Friday.
All water restriction measures and details are listed in the JBSA Critical Period Management Plan available online at http://www.jbsa.mil/Information/Environmental/
JBSA personnel should not confuse the JBSA water restrictions with the SAWS restriction levels. The JBSA water restrictions are more stringent and begin sooner than SAWS restrictions.
These water conservation activities will help to ensure an adequate supply of Edwards Aquifer water. All water restriction measures are listed in the JBSA Critical Period Management Plan available online at www.jbsa.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130809-013.pdf.
Call 652-2392 to report water abusers. Those found not abiding with the JBSA Critical Period Management Plan may face potential disciplinary measures. Reports will remain anonymous.