The purpose of the Special Victims’ Program is to provide support to victims of sexual assault through independent representation; build and sustain victim resiliency; empower victims; and increase the level of legal assistance provided to victims. Victims will be provided free legal assistance for civil issues as well as guidance and support during the military justice process.
The Special Victims’ Counsel (SVC) is separate from the Legal Office and the Area Defense Counsel (ADC), allowing the attorney to concentrate solely on the needs of their client. The SVC is also separate from SAPR or Family Advocacy as SVC’s offer legal services and does not report to local leadership. SVCs provide clients with confidential legal advice, protect client’s rights and privacy interests, explain and advise Military Justices process, attend hearings with clients and advocate for client’s needs.
- Active Duty (AD) Air Force (regardless of perpetrator(s) status)
- Adult and Minor Dependents of AD personnel (AD military perpetrator)
- Civilians (only if eligible for legal assistance under AFI 51-504 par 1.3 and AD military perpetrator)
- AD Other Branches (we will forward requests to respective branch)
- Exception-to-Policy (case-by-case basis) – contact SVC personnel for eligibility questions