Lackland was named after Brig. Gen. Frank Lackland, who commissioned into the Army after serving in the District of Columbia National Guard.
Construction on the base began in 1941 and was originally part of Kelly Field. One year later, it became an independent organization called the San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center. On Feb. 3, 1948, the facility became Lackland Air Force Base, Gateway to the Air Force.
The base consists of more than 24,000 active duty members; 10,000 DOD civilians; and 11,000 contractors and family members. Lackland is comprised of the 37th Training Wing; 149th Fighter Wing; 59th Medical Wing; the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency; 24th Air Force Wing, 67th Network Warfare Wing; the Cryptologic Systems Group; the National Security Agency; and 70 additional associate units.