FACTSHEET | June 21, 2021

Camp Bullis

Camp Bullis Military Training Reservation is a U.S. Army training camp comprising more than 27,000 acres in Bexar County, Texas, just northwest of San Antonio. The camp is named for Brig. Gen. John. L. Bullis.

Camp Bullis provides base operations support and training support to JBSA. It is used primarily as a maneuvering grounds for U.S. Army, Air Force and Marines combat units. It is also utilized as a field training site for the various medical units stationed at Brooke Army Medical Center in nearby Fort Sam Houston.

In 1906, the U.S. military bought more than 17,000 acres from all or parts of six ranches. This area was designated the Leon Springs Military Reservation and was to be used as a maneuvers and training area for troops based at Fort Sam Houston. The first major maneuvers were held in 1908, involving regular Army and National Guard infantry, cavalry and field artillery units. The first documented firing of artillery occurred in 1909. Mobilization of troops in response to upheavals in Mexico in 1911 led to large-scale maneuvers at the reservation. With increased tension at the U.S.-Mexico border from 1912-1916, activity at the reservation decreased as troops from Fort Sam Houston were deployed along the border.

Throughout the years, Camp Bullis has continued to support as well as provide training facilities for Army, Army Reserve, Air Force, and Texas National Guard personnel.