Robert J. West is the Director of Maintenance, 12th Flying Training Wing, Randolph AFB, Texas. He is responsible for the daily safe operations of over 650 civil service and contractor employees in five divisions including three squadrons. He is responsible for the 12th Maintenance Group which performs launch/recovery and off/on equipment maintenance for T-1A, T-6A, T-38C and T-38 IFF aircraft valued at more than $760 million. The Group's annual civilian pay, O&M and reimbursable budgets exceed $50 million.
Mr. West retired from the Air Force in February of 2010 with the rank of colonel. He is a career aircraft maintenance leader, who has held a wide variety of maintenance and logistics positions at the squadron, group, wing, and headquarters levels. Prior to his current position he was assigned to Air Education and Training Command as the Division Chief, Maintenance Division, Randolph AFB, Texas. He entered federal civil service in March of 2010.
1983 Bachelor of Science Degree, University of Maryland.
1984 Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
1986 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Air Force Inspector General Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
1993 Master of Arts Degree, Human Resource Development, Webster University, Mo.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Advanced Logistics Officers Course, Lackland AFB, Texas.
2000 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1983 - March 1984, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
2. March 1984 - November 1984, Officer-in-Charge, Propulsion Branch, 56th Component Repair Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. November 1984 - July 1985, Officer In Charge, Avionics Branch, 56th Component Repair Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. July 1985 - July 1986, Assistant Officer In Charge, 72nd Aircraft Maintenance Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
5. July 1986 - July 1987, Assistant Maintenance Supervisor, 56th Component Repair Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
6. July 1987 - January 1990, F-16 Operations Officer, 3751st Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
7. January 1990 - January 1993, Standardization and Evaluation Team Chief, 3785th Field Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
8. January 1993 - December 1994, F-15, F-22, F-111 Flight Commander, 372nd Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
9. January 1995 - January 1996, Chief of Maintenance, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
10. January 1996 - June 1998, Maintenance Officer, 50th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
11. June 1998 - July 2000, Commander, 463rd Logistics Support Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
12. July 2000 - August 2001, Chief, Systems and Engineering Branch, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. August 2001 - May 2002, Chief, Maintenance Management Branch, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. May 2002 - July 2002, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea.
15. July 2002 - July 2003, Commander, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea.
16. July 2003 - November 2005, Deputy Commander, 55th Maintenance Group, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. November 2005 - June 2007, Commander, 27th Maintenance Group, Cannon AFB, N.M.
18. June 2007 - June 2009, Commander, 51st Maintenance Group, Osan AB, Republic of Korea.
19. June 2009 - January 2011, Chief, Maintenance Division, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas.
20. March 2011 - Present, Director, 12th Flying Training Wing Maintenance Group, Randolph AFB, Texas.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
(Current as of February 2017)