187th Medical Battalion, Medical Professional Training Brigade gains new commander
By Jose Rodriguez
| U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School Public Affairs | July 12, 2018
Lt. Col. Paul D. Lang (left) accepts the unit colors from Col. Shauna L. Snyder, commander, Medical Professional Training Brigade while the outgoing commander Lt. Col. John F. Detro looks on. (Photo by Jose Rodriguez)
JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-FORT SAM HOUSTON, Texas —
Lt. Col. Paul D. Lang assumed command of the 187th Medical Battalion, Medical Professional Training Brigade, U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School, at a ceremony at the AMEDD Museum at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston July 12. Lang assumed command from outgoing commander Lt. Col. John F. Detro.
“Train to Save” is the 187th Medical Battalion's motto. The unit was constituted Aug. 14, 1943, as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 187th Medical Battalion. The 187th was activated Sept. 22, 1943 at Madison Barracks, New York, and transferred to U.S. Army Health Services Command July 27,1987, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
The diverse battalion trains Officer Leader Development Courses, Officer Graduate Courses, Pre-Hospital Medicine Courses, Flight Medic Courses and the AMEDD Student Detachment.