Colonel Jeffrey K. Fallesen is the Vice Commander of the 37th Training Wing at JBSA-Lackland. (Photo by US Air Force)
Colonel Jeffrey K. Fallesen is the vice commander of the 37th Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas, the largest training wing in the U.S. Air Force, comprised of more than 16,000 students and permanent party Airmen. He assists the wing commander in leading the wing known as the "Gateway to the Air Force", consisting of three groups, two academies and one center which graduate more than 85,000 students annually from more than 450 technical training courses.
Colonel Fallesen was commissioned as a second lieutenant in August of 1992 from Bowling Green State University, Ohio where he earned a bachelor of science degree in Aerotechnology; he has served in several flight commander and executive officer assignments and then as the 8th Operations Support Squadron Director of Operations at Kunsan Air Base, Korea. Following Korea, he served as the Deputy Chief of Staff, Headquarters Ninth Air Force and United States Air Forces Central Command.
He went on to command the 817th Global Mobility Readiness Squadron in support of the Air Force’s worldwide airbase opening capability. Subsequent to command, Colonel Fallesen served as the Vice Commandant for the Squadron Officer School where he led student operations for 3,300 AF captains, International Officers and civilian students annually. Most recently, he lead the 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force - Afghanistan Joint Air Traffic Management team to transition airspace and air traffic management from the Combined Force Air Component Commander to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
1992 Bachelor of science, Aerotechnology, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Master of Aeronautical Science in Airfield Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona, Fla.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. (correspondence)
2013 Air War College Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. May - July 1993, Basic Air Traffic Control Officer Training, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2. August 1993 - December 1994, Air Traffic Control Officer Training Program, 60th Operations Support Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
3. December 1994 - July 1996, Air Traffic Control Operations Officer, 62d Operations Support Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
4. July 1996 - February 1998, Commander, Airfield Operations Flight, 2d Operations Support Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
5. June 1998 - October 1998, Flight Commander, Airfield Operations, 14th Operations Support Squadron, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
6. October 1998 - October 2000, Flight Commander, Airfield Operations, 45th Operations Support Squadron, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
7. October 2000 - September 2001, Executive Officer, Headquarters Air Force Flight Standards Agency, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
8. September 2001 - September 2002, Executive Officer, Headquarters Air Force, Directorate of Operations and Training, The Pentagon, DC
9. October 2002 - July 2003, Chief, Special Ops Contingency Plans, Headquarters Air Force, Special Operations Division, The Pentagon, DC
10. August 2003 - June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
11. June 2004 - May 2005, Director of Operations, 8th Operations Support Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Korea
12. August 2005 - May 2006, Chief, OEF Airfield Operations Plans and Procedures, 609th Combat Plans Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
13. May 2006 - May 2008, Deputy Chief of Staff, Headquarters Ninth Air Force and United States Air Forces Central, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
14. June 2008 – May 2010, Commander, 817th Global Mobility Readiness Squadron, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
15. May 2010 – May 2011, Vice Commandant, Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
16. May 2011 – June 2012, Vice Commandant, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
17. July 2012 – May 2013, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
18. July 2013 – July 2014, Director, Joint Air Traffic Management, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force, Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan
19. July 2014 – June 2016, Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Shaw AFB, SC
20. June 2016 – Present, Vice Wing Commander, 37th Training Wing, JBSA-Lackland, TX
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
62nd Operations Support Squadron, 1995 CGO of the Year
Air Force Space Command 1999 Col Derrel Dempsey Air Traffic Control Officer of the Year
Air Force Space Command 1999 Flight Safety Award of Distinction
Air Force Space Command 1998, 1999 and 2000 Airfield Operations Flight Complex of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug 14, 1992
First Lieutenant Dec 27, 1994
Captain Dec 27, 1996
Major May 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 1, 2008
Colonel (frocked) Oct 11, 2013
Colonel Sep 1, 2014
(Current as of June 2016)