COLONEL MARK A. LEE
U.S. Army COL Mark A. Lee is the Deputy Commander for Joint Base San Antonio and the Vice Commander of the 502 Air Base Wing. The 8,000-person 502nd ABW consolidates 49 installation management support functions for a military community with an annual operating budget of more than $700 million and a $32 billion plant replacement value. It encompasses more than 80,000 full-time personnel, 145,000 students and a retiree community of more than 250,000. The 502nd ABW also supports in excess of $4.5 billion in directed projects. The Wing has host base responsibilities for Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Lackland and Randolph.
COL Lee graduated from Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Ind. with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry and in 1987 received a direct commission as a 2nd Lt. in the Army Chemical Corps. COL Lee has 27 years of active duty service with Army, to include deployments in support of four Campaigns, OPERATION JUST CAUSE, OPERATIONS DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM, OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM and OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. He most recently served as the commander of U.S. Army Environmental Command from July 2012 to July 2014.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Ind.
Master of Science, Computer Resources and Information Management, Webster University
Master of Arts, Operational and Theater Planning, School of Advanced Military Studies, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
Master of Arts, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, DC
Army Chemical Basic and Advanced Courses
Army Airborne School
Army Jumpmaster School
Army Technical Escort Course
Army Command and General Staff College, School of Advanced Military Studies
National War College
1. Battalion Chemical Officer, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.
2. Aide-De-Camp, Commandant of the U.S. Army Chemical School, Fort McClellan, Ala.
3. Laboratory Chief for the Chemical Defense Training Facility, Fort McClellan, Ala.
4. Commander, 11th Chemical Company
5. Headquarters, U.S. Army Pacific, Fort Shafter, Hawaii
6. Army Command and General Staff College, School of Advanced Military Studies
7. Planner, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas
8. 2002, War Plans Officer, U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
9. March 2003, Battalion Executive Officer, 2nd Chemical Battalion, Iraq
10. Commander, 110th Chemical Battalion (Technical Escort), Fort Lewis, Wash.
11. Deputy Commander, 48th Chemical Brigade, Fort Hood, Texas
12. Counter IED Chief, ISAF Regional Command South, Kandahar, Afghanistan
13. G5, Chief of Plans and Exercises, III Corps
14. July 2012 - July 2014, Commander, U.S. Army Environmental Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
15. Aug. 2014 - Present, Vice Commander, 502nd Air Base Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit (with Oak Leaf Cluster)
Bronze Star (with Oak Leaf Cluster)
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (1 Silver and 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)
Army Commendation Medal
Army Achievement Medal (with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters)
Senior Parachutist Badge (with Bronze Service Star)
Current as of August 2014